Well, I got fed up with the situation and I decided to take the big step; I downgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 in order to see if I could install the latest TP build of WP10 (10.0.10536.1004). It was a longer process than I expected…only the process of restoring Windows 8.1 took me more than 1 hour! These are the steps I followed:
- Use the Microsoft tool for restoring Windows 8.1
- Go through the setup of Windows 8.1 before I can install the Insider app
- I had to install Cyan & Denim updates, restarting several times
- Cancel all time-consuming pending updates in the Store and install the Windows Insider app.
- Go through the installation of Windows 10 as an upgrade
- Hard reset and go through a clean installation of Windows 10
- Setup everything from scratch (apps, settings, accounts etc.)
I was working on other things in parallel so the whole process took me more than 4-5 hours in total. Was it worth it? YES!
My Lumia 720 is much more responsive with Windows Phone 10 now and I see less bugs. I still can’t tell about the battery consumption but the performance is greatly improved! I just hope that the upcoming builds will also be on the responsive side…